Tiramisu is an elegant and rich layered Italian dessert made with delicate ladyfingers, espresso, mascarpone cheese, eggs, sugar, Marsala wine and cocoa powder. The name tiramisu, means “pick me up” in Italian. Most likely referring to the two caffeinated ingredients that are present in the dish, espresso and cocoa. Among the most popular Italian desserts, tiramisu is undoubtedly number one. Today we are going to share with you the best tiramisu recipe ever!
YOU WILL NEED
- strong, brewed unsweetened espresso coffee, at room temperature
- 60 ml dry Marsala wine
- 5 large egg yolks (make sure you use the highest quality eggs possible)
- 150 grams caster sugar
- 500 grams mascarpone cheese
- Savoiardi Italian ladyfingers ( sponge fingers)
- 30 grams pure cocoa powder for dusting
1.Combine the egg yolks and sugar in a wide bowl and beat with a mixer at medium speed until you get a fluffy consistency.
2. Add the Mascapone cheese to the egg yolks. Whisk until they are completely combined and have the consistency of thickly whipped cream.
3. Combine the espresso and the Marsala into a shallow dish. Dip the ladyfingers one by one, very quickly into the coffee, and layer them into your dish ( we used 8”/11”) until you cover the bottom. You might find that you need to break a few into pieces to fit them in the dish.
4.Use half of the mascarpone filling over the ladyfingers and spread into an even layer.
5. Then dip the remaining ladyfingers very quickly into the coffee and arrange a second layer over the filling. Spread the remaining mascarpone mixture over the ladyfingers. Cover and chill for 4 hrs or overnight. This can now be kept in the fridge for up to 2 days. At home it can’t survive that long 🙂
To serve, dust with cocoa powder.
- Substitutes for Marsala Wine: dark rum, brandy or other liqueur. Since Marsala is less potent than something like rum, we suggest using about half the amount.
- A non-alcoholic version: leave the Marsala out of the recipe or use rum extract.
- For the kids: dip the ladyfingers into milk and add fruits such as berries, peaches or apricots between layers and on top.
Tiramisu is a wonderful Italian delicacy to add to holiday festivities. Although after trying it once, you may not be able to wait for a special occasion before you decide to serve it again.
In the comment section below you can share with us your tiramisu experience. If you have any questions, we are always happy to help!